DISCLAIMER

This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are the English Language Fellow's own and do not represent the English Language Fellow Program or the U.S. Department of State.

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving continued...

Today I'll just keep it short and simple, though it was a long, HOT day in Malawi, I must say. A few major events: I finished my final class with my LAN 150 students at Chancellor College... they were quite rambunctious (sp?), I must say. I'm sure they're just relieved to get one course under their belts... not only that, but I was able to convince the head to allow me to use their final research papers as their final assessment... whew! They're very happy for this, of course, as am I, since I was a bit worried about writing an exam for a course for which I only taught the 2nd half (started at mid-term). Luckily, I do have systems in place to make sure they're doing their own work, avoiding plagierism, etc. so it should serve as a good assessment.

After the class, I did go back to Deliwe's uncle's wife's house to take her to the closest private hospital (St. Luke's, in a nearbye village called Malosa). Luckily, Deliwe's uncle (Wilson) was able to get some assistance from a relative to help pay the fees to have her further examined and treated. He only needed me for transportation, since they live in quite a remote place(as I've mentioned before), and transporting her in a mini-bus in her condition just would not be an option. I was happy to do my little part to help them out, and was also astounded by the strength of her older sister (maybe in her early forties), who carried her on her back ("piggy-back" style) down the steep hill from her house to my car, as the "road" to the house is impassible for my little car.

I suppose the most remarkable thing about this situation for me is how many people are spending their time and energy to take care of this woman in her time of need. It may be useful to point out that these people do not have most of the modern conveniences we take for granted (cars, especially), and still they find ways to go out to a remote place and help someone in need, no questions asked. Each time I've visited the house, there are at least 3 women there, plus their children, visiting, cooking, cleaning, and taking care of things for this woman and her family. I'd like to say this is the norm back home as well, but it's quite rare, I believe. I suppose in our "development," perhaps many of us have lost that tendency to become selfless and stop what we're doing to really take care of each other. Perhaps we also have fewer options, too, as demands of work and modern life have taken over. Whatever it is, this aspect of human caring seems so much stronger here than anything I've ever witnessed or experienced thus far. I'm certain that if I became this sick, most likely only one person would have the ability and means to come to my aid, and certainly that person would not have to carry me piggy-back up and down hills.... Do I know anyone that would do that? (Well, maybe one person... but I'd have to confirm it with him first!! ;-)

In any case, just another observation of how truly strong the family bonds seem to be here, at least in this case. Certainly that's a very important factor in an area where people really have to struggle to survive. I suppose it gives me a bit of hope in humanity, and again, something to be thankful for (well, maybe a few things, as mentioned in yesterday's post).

So, we got her to the hospital, where her sister will stay and help take care of her... another tidbit... the hospitals here allow and encourage family members to stay in the ward with the patients, as often their resources for care are quite limited (even the private hospitals), so families must provide care/comfort, as well as food, blankets, and other necessities for the patients. Though this isn't an ideal situation, at least it has the added benefit of the loved ones' presence at the hospital during the patient's care.

My day was completed with a two-hour evening class session with my newest distance-learning group at Domasi College of Education (DCE). I started the class this afternoon for one hour at 2:30 p.m., and then negotiated with them to meet tonight from 7:30-9:30 p.m. in order to free up the originally-scheduled 2-hour class time tomorrow so that Deliwe and I can leave a bit earlier for the lake. Yes, we're attempting our trip to Lake Malawi again tomorrow, hopefully leaving by 1 p.m. Wish us luck! This means I will NOT be posting tomorrow (Friday, Nov. 23), nor Saturday, Nov. 24. I should be back for a posting on Sunday with the details of our adventures on the lake! (Yes, with PIX included!!) I already have been warned that the road to our destination (Cape McClear) will provide at least half the adventure, so I'm going to have to mentally prepare myself and my trusty Toyota for that trip. Luckily, I do have a new battery now, so at least that part should be o.k. This time, I'm just hoping the tires and underbody will survive the trip... Wish us luck on that as well...

So, until Sunday, Tiwonana!! For those in the U.S., Enjoy your turkey, potatoes, and pumpkin pie 'food coma', and GO PACKERS!! ;-) (One more thing to be thankful for this year, so my sisters tell me... Da PACK is BACK!!!)

--Oh,and one more thing... I lied... this post wasn't so short, nor simple! Sorry! Guess the 'faithful' readers are used to that by now, eh? ;-)

3 comments:

heddahop said...

Hmm I might just have to claim another bottle... It is now Saturday and nothing from my good friend Jen! Thanksgiving was great! HOpe yours was as well. Although I am sure you are warmer!!!!

Jen X said...

Hmmm... I guess Heather needs to work on her reading skills. The post clearly says I'll be out until Sunday!! Nice try, Heather!

heddahop said...

ha ha I see that now I guess I skimmed that part. Aren't you glad I am not your reading teacher!! LOL