DISCLAIMER

This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are the English Language Fellow's own and do not represent the English Language Fellow Program or the U.S. Department of State.

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Guess I need to change topics, huh?

So, it appears that insects are not on the top of the list of things that excite my loyal readers, as evidenced by the lack of participation in my exciting ninja spider sightings poll. Only 6 respondants took the time (approx. 2 seconds) to enter their guesses. Well, 2 of you were right-- exactly 30%. The answer is... (drumroll, drumroll, drumroll), I know you're all on the edge of your seats now... FOUR! Congratulations to the 2 anonymous respondents that may someday get a paperweight in the mail featuring a big hairy spider killed especially for you by Deliwe and put in that clear stuff that hardens so you can see the beautiful dead spider in all its glory forever and ever, AMEN!

So, for those who want to claim their 'prize,' please reveal your identity in the comments section, including mailing address and/or e-mail, so I can get those preserved dead spiders out to you right away!

Something tells me my loyal readership just dwindled by 30%. Well, 4 outta 6 ain't too bad, is it?

OK, so, new topics. It's now after 10 p.m., so, this'll be short. I've been having lotsa computer connection problems lately, so gave up this afternoon and decided to come back to the office after dinner to do my internet duties. In addition to that, it's gotten REALLY HOT HERE! It appears that during this time of year in Malawi, one has basically 2 options: 1) Lots of pouring rain, followed by cooler temperatures and insect/spider infestations, or 2) drought-like conditions featuring extremely hot temperatures with relatively high levels of humidity. I'm still trying to decide which is worse... Spiders or sizzling heat? The jury's still out. I'll keep you posted.

In other news, rumor has it that we experienced an earthquake last night in Malawi! I had no idea this was possible here, but as it turns out, they're quite rare. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), this anomaly occurred in the early morning hours (around 4 a.m.) so neither Deliwe nor I experienced it, as we were still snoring happily at that hour. However, as I've mentioned before, many people here are actually up at such god-forsaken early hours, so based on their eye-witness accounts, it appears to be true! I've been trying to find news of it on the internet, but as of yet, no luck. I'd love to see some actual documentation of this occurrence, so if anyone (especially the 2 or 3 faithful readers in Malawi) can forward any via the comments section here, I'd be eternally grateful! (I might even send you one of those preserved spiders, just to show my gratitude! ;-)

Another quick note... Deliwe and I now have a family living with us... stay tuned for more details on that tomorrow...(he he, now I know how to keep you comin' back!)

Due to the late hour, and my need for sleep due to a complete energy drain from extreme heat, I'll now sign off. Don't worry, tomorrow I promise to finally tell all the stories of last week's trip to Lilongwe, complete with pictures. (that is, if all 4 of you are still interested...) Tiwonana Mawa!

7 comments:

heddahop said...

damn! I so wanted a paperweight of a dead ninja spider!

Was this your first earthquake??

You seem to be experiencing everything there! I can't wait to hear the next adventure!

Anonymous said...

Yea, the earthquake story is true. I'm a Blantyre resident, was awake by 03.30hrs on Thursday morning and I felt it. Geological Survey people say it measured 2.5 on the Richter scale. Quakes are rare here.This is the third one since late 90's though.

Anonymous said...

Jen X, Ku domasi kuli bwanji?

Limbika

Unknown said...

Found your add while looking news on the quake the other night (I'm in Blantyre). Check out the Nyasa Times, they have a brief article. Also, Malawi is one of the most geologically active areas along the East Africa Rift System. Lake Malawi is located in the Great Rift Valley (a big geological fault). We get small tremors every now and then however, the last truly major one was in March of 1989 up at Salima.

Anonymous said...

I didn't check for a couple of days, and I missed yet another poll. :(

Glad the spiders thing has passed.

As for the earthquake thing, I'm glad they are rare and small, but just in case, keep a flashlight, glasses (if you wear glasses or contacts), and slippers near your bed. If you feel one and it feels strong, get out of your house ASAP! I suspect it's not built to survive an earthquake.

Anonymous said...

Mwayamba ulesitu mayi mukungoti mulemba mulemba mawa osalemba. ife timayanganira kuwerenga blog yanu

Jen X said...

Hey, Blantyre people... Let me know if you ever want to get together, and actually meet in person. I go to Blantyre every now and then, so it could be fun to actually talk face-to-face! If you are interested, please e-mail me at jbeilke@yahoo.com, and we can exchange cell phones! Hope to hear from you soon! JenX