DISCLAIMER

This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are the English Language Fellow's own and do not represent the English Language Fellow Program or the U.S. Department of State.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Strike off again, Chanco on again...

So,are you getting that up-and-down roller coaster feeling yet? You are not alone. The good news is that the Chanco strike is OFF again, officially starting this afternoon, according to my source, which this time is a colleague in my office. She called me this afternoon to inform me that the government had made an offer to the University of Malawi Faculty to give them a 20% raise, effective immediately. Though this is only 10% of the 200% raise they'd asked for, the lecturers decided that it was better than nothing, and in a showing of good faith to the students, they agreed to go back to work... Hallelujah!

Now, it looks like a few students may not be present tomorrow, as they'd been sent home, or, as today's source tells me, decided to go home. It appears that the earlier information I had as of yesterday might have been incorrect, and that the students were not actually required to go home. However, many may have decided to leave on their own due to safety concerns, or because they were worried about being cited for the violent acts which occurred during Monday's and Tuesday's demonstrations. So, it looks like my class will meet again 'mawa', and for that I am glad, as it means we can finish almost on time after all. Whew! I suppose all my naysaying yesterday was incorrect after all... or was it? Only time will tell...

As always, I'll keep you posted. Tiwonana Mawa!

(By the way, in other, much more frivolous news, I have to give a 'shout out' to my sista' Carrie in North Carolina, who is seeing 'our boys' The POLICE (the band, not the boys in blue) tonight in Charlotte for the FOURTH TIME THIS YEAR, and breaking our record of a mere 3 times screaming for our band, which we accomplished in August while following them up the east coast...HAVE FUN CARRIE, I'm SO JEALOUS, and DYING to be there with you!!-- Sorry, just HAD to do that today... ;-)

No comments: