DISCLAIMER

This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are the English Language Fellow's own and do not represent the English Language Fellow Program or the U.S. Department of State.

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Arachnophobia Part Two...

Though I hate to dwell on the unpleasant, I cannot help myself. I must tell you that despite my blog-writing therapy of last night, I'm still plagued by the sight of these beasts. Those who are from the great land of Malawi will not be shocked by the statistic I'm about to reveal. However, I am 100% confident that those reading from most parts of the northern hemisphere may be shocked by it. What do I speak of? The number of mutant ninja spider sightings since my last post.

Wait! I've got a great idea! Let's do another poll, shall we? Can you guess how many Malawian mutant ninja spiders I've seen between last night's posting (around 7:30 p.m. Malawi time) and 8:30 this morning? Keep in mind that for most of those hours I was asleep... from 10:00 p.m. until 7:00 a.m. (Well, if having nightmares about huge hairy spiders can be counted as sleeping, that is...).

OK, this should be fun. I'll save the Lilongwe stories for tomorrow. Let's continue with the big hairy spider topic. I've even added a couple of pictures of Deliwe happily showing off her kill of one of the beasts (incidentally, she collected the corpse from her bedroom floor--it had been there for at least a couple of hours since she'd killed it earlier when she got up... I'm thinking she's having too much fun with my psychotic arachnophobia and actually left it there to show to me later!!).

By the way, she assured me that this was a "little" one. A baby. Ya, an infant. Unbelievable to most of you back home, I'm sure. Come to think of it, when I finally got the courage to take this picture, I did note that the two spiders I saw that first night were considerably larger. Deliwe also said those were "small." Not only that, but a faithful reader here in Malawi just commented that "I ain't seen nothin' yet." Great. My "honeymoon" phase with Malawi is coming to a grinding halt, I believe. I'll try to face my fears with courage, but I must say, if the number of visits by the hairy, leggy beasts continue increasing with their size, I may just have to pack my bags...

Stay tuned... if I do actually survive the storm of spiders, we'll soon move on the the Lilongwe stories, but I'd like to continue with this if I may. It's helping me cope, just getting it all out there, photo documentation and all. Tiwonana Mawa!! (With any luck)... Don't forget to participate in the poll... there might be a prize in it forya!! (I wonder if they make those paperweights with preserved dead spiders here, like the ones you see in New Mexico (though those are usually doomed scorpions)... that'd be the perfect gift! Hmmm....)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks so cool. I bet it is a little unnerving though, to see it crawling around your house. Then again, I just scoop spiders up in a piece of paper and toss them outside. Good luck with you newest "leg" of your adventure.
Cherette

Jen X said...

Hey, Cherette... How virtuous and kind of you to liberate the spiders... are they as big as this, though? Maybe in Cali they're even bigger (???) I really wouldn't mind if all these guys were eradicated, frankly... I know, I'm so insensitive, but just LOOK at that thing! not even industrial-strength paper's gonna hold that sucker... ;-)