DISCLAIMER

This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are the English Language Fellow's own and do not represent the English Language Fellow Program or the U.S. Department of State.

Friday, October 26, 2007

Rain, rain, don't go away!

Well, today was a rather regular day... busy, but no exciting stories to tell. I had my class this morning, and treated them to their second computer lab day in the "American Corner" set up in the library by the friendly Public Affairs Section people at the U.S. Embassy in Lilongwe. Incidentally, these are also the people I report to. Because I technically work for them, I've decided to make more use of this lab with my students, which has been especially helpful for their research. You see, if they don't have access to the lab during a special class session, they have to actually pay to use the computer lab. And yes, they do pay tuition as well. So, it gets a bit expensive for them. Today was the 2nd time we've visited the lab, and they seem to enjoy it, and they actually get a lot of work done, too. Unless they're just pretending to work, but if so, they're very good actors...

I also told my class this week that I'll be away next week to help with "Teaching Practice Observations" for the student-teachers at Domasi College. I'm actually going with a group of instructors from the college who will be sent to Lilongwe, and I'll be leaving Sunday afternoon (around 1 p.m.), and staying there until Friday (or possibly Saturday). This means that I most likely will not be adding any posts next week, as I don't think I'll have regular internet access. Oh, what will I do without my daily e-mailing, IM-ing, and blogging??? It could get ugly, but I'll try not to freak out too much.

I'm actually looking forward to the experience very much, as I'll finally get an opportunity to visit actual public school classrooms and get a feel for what it's really like for teachers and students in the public schools here. I'll also have the opportunity to give feedback to teachers, and find out what some of the major educational issues are here, based on first-hand observation. Not only that, but I'll be in Lilongwe, so it'll be a nice change of scenery, staying in the city, eating at nice restaurants (hopefully) and just enjoying a little "faster pace" for awhile. I think I will actually miss the quiet nights in Domasi (except for the dog barking parties at night followed by the rooster crowing parties in the morning), but it feels like a good time to break away from the place and have a new experience.

Luckily, the timing of the research project my students at Chanco are working on ended up fitting perfectly into this schedule, as they're at the point where they need to gather information and organize their notes, so they should have plenty of work to do next week. My only worry is that the lecturers' strike will continue indefinitely, possible resulting in the students being sent home (which is one of the current rumors floating around campus). If this happens, they will not be able to finish out their semester, even with my class, despite the fact that we've continued to meet faithfully despite the strike. It also means they'll have to come back in January and finish their papers then. That would be horrible for all involved, so I really hope that doesn't happen. They've really been working hard, and I'm sure they're hoping to get this one required first-year course (Have I mentioned that it's a required first-year writing/study skills course?--ya, everyone's favorite ;-) out of the way, at least. I'm pulling for them, for what it's worth.

I also made the bold (and perhaps unwise) move of giving them my cell phone number in case they had dire questions that couldn't wait while I'm gone. Hopefully they won't take that liberty too often, though the high cell phone rates here should prevent too much of that (or so I hope). I really like my students, but the teachers out there know what a crazy and bold move it is to give out your personal number to them! ;-) Of course, I told them I'd miss them, and they told me the same. I was telling the truth. I wonder if they were, too... hmmm....

OK, finally to the subject of my blog title today. It seems as if the rainy season has truly begun here. Last night, it rained continuously (and very heavily) almost all night. Then, this afternoon, it did something I'm not sure I've ever actually seen before. It actually poured buckets of cats and dogs while the sun was still shining. It was incredible. Even though I've experienced rain in the midst of sunshine while living out west in New Mexico and Colorado in the U.S., this was different. This was POURING rain. And, it went on for at least an hour this afternoon. It was really quite a sight. Now, the weather is much cooler, fresher, and the mountains are incredibly beautiful. I'm hoping to take a short trip up Zomba mountain tomorrow afternoon to enjoy the fresh air. Prior to that, I hope to get my last posting in before my week away in Lilongwe.

So, for now, I'll write as if I may not make it back to the office tomorrow, thus I won't have to make good on the FREE GIN offer (though none of my faithful readers have tried to collect on it yet, so I guess you're not interested in gin... OK, that's cool, no problem...). If I don't make it back online tomorrow, I should be online next Saturday, Nov. 3. Tiwonana! NOTE TO "SLACKERS" (i.e. unfaithful readers who somehow have more important things to do that read this blog everyday--though what could possibly be more important??? I can't imagine...) This next week should finally give you time to catch up! Don't miss me too much, or at least not as much as I know my students will, OK? I'll be saving up lotsa stories and pics for all of you, so brace yourselves!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I GOT MY PRIZE!!!!
I received 2 carved wooden candle stick holders. They're beautiful! In an earlier "IM chat" with Jennifer, we determined that the carvings are pointy-toothed Hippos (like the "Killer Rabbit" from the Holy Grail (but Hippos). They're really cool! Thanks, Jen!

heddahop said...

Man I was ready to win the gin, but jsut re-read and I see I can't make it DRATS!!!