DISCLAIMER

This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are the English Language Fellow's own and do not represent the English Language Fellow Program or the U.S. Department of State.

Friday, October 5, 2007

No free gin for you!

OK, this is likely to be a shorter post, as I need to run to Zomba to take care of some things. Yesterday, I was unable to post due to a 4-hour power shortage. So, no free gin. Actually, it looks like no one wants to collect the free gin anyway, because I haven't received any messages noting the missed posting. Perhaps I'll never have to make good on that offer (Whew!)

Speaking of the "free gin" offer for missing a post, it looks like I'll need a 3-day holiday from posting, as I'm planning to go to Liwonde National Park this weekend, and it will be a 3-day weekend because Mother's Day is Monday, and that's a national holiday here, so all schools are closed. Yippee!

I still need to make the calls to figure out accommodation and all, so the plans may change, but I'm hoping for the best. I also do not have my car yet, so I'm waiting on that as well. What I'm basically saying is, it may or may not happen, depending on car and accommodation. I may need a lot of luck for this to happen, so send some over if you've got it.

In addition, this morning was the first time the driver did not pick me up to take me to Chancellor College for my 9:30 a.m. class. I still have not heard from anyone at the college explaining what happened. It's very strange. Mr. Kankuzi, the department head, had to bring me back here himself for the 3rd or 4th time yesterday because the driver was not there at the college to pick me up and bring me back to Domasi. He was visibly annoyed, and said he was doing his best to make sure the drivers would be more reliable from now on. However, this morning, no one came. Of course, my students had a paper due, so I was eventually able to call the secretary in the department to collect the papers for me. We shall see if they actually make it to my desk or not. Right now, it's a toss-up.

In any case, I hope that my kharma is not changing here, as things have gone relatively smoothly so far, considering how they could've gone. I'm still keeping a positive attitude, and keeping faith in the fact that most people here are doing their best, but of course there are challenges when it comes to reliability of transportation, etc. Again, hopefully if the car comes soon, I won't have to deal with those problems as much (as long as the car itself is in good shape... hmmm... may need more luck there....)

So, in order to get to Zomba, it looks like I'll have to endure the mini-bus for the first time...AAHH!! I'll return with a full report, maybe even this evening. Two posts today should make up for missing yesterday, and likely taking the weekend off.

I know, I also need to post the pic of that big bug. Any guesses as to what kind of bug it is? Post your guesses in the 'comments' section here!! (There could be a special prize in it forya, but you have to post before the picture is posted...)

Let's just say it's not the kind of bug you see just crawling around most households. The only place I've ever seen one is the zoo. That's the only hint I'll give.

Tiwonana tonight! (if possible... if not, most likely I'll be back on Tuesday ;-)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My guess it is a cockroach :)

Anonymous said...

Jen, I am back again your faithful reader with another guess. Is it a caterpillar or a mouse? Not a mouse, too clever for you to take a picture. It is either a caterpillar or a cockroach. I will still go for my frst guess. It is a cockroach.

Jen you can see how desperate I am for the prize! Fingers crossed it is a cockroach...send me the prize, Jen.

Jen X said...

Hello, "Anonymous"...

I'm sorry to tell you it is not a mouse, caterpillar, nor a cockroach... you'll have to dig deeper for your answer to this one...

I've just gotten back to my office a bit late, so I won't be posting again until I get back from the weekend (maybe Sunday or Monday)... Keep guessing until then! Good luck!

P.S. If you do get it right, you'll have to reveal your identity in order to collect the prize!

Anonymous said...

This time I am sure I got it right. It is a lizard. Is it?

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen!
You lured me in by seducing me with trivia, so here goes my first comment for all to read....

My guess for the bug is a Walking Stick or Praying Mantis.

Heather (Sister)

Anonymous said...

Locust?

A. said...

That was a different anonymous above - me. You should get Statcounter or something similar to let you know just how many anonymouses (anonymice?) you have :)