DISCLAIMER

This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are the English Language Fellow's own and do not represent the English Language Fellow Program or the U.S. Department of State.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Sincere Apology

Today's post is a sincere apology to any Malawians who have read or are still reading this blog on a regular basis. I understand from a comment I received yesterday that some of my comments below my pictures have caused offense to at least one reader from Malawi, who also asserts that this blog is read by "thousands" of Malawians at home and abroad. Though I find this figure quite hard to believe, I am very saddened that even one comment I've made offended even one person. This really was not my intent at all. Since my impression was that this blog is read mostly by my friends back home, the pictures and comments beneath them are meant to give people an idea of what things are like here, not to pass any judgement on the condition of the people here or belittle their struggles. I've often prided myself in being an open-minded person with great respect for all people and cultures, and now I've had to take a step back and really look at how some of the comments in this blog could be perceived by a person from Malawi, reading it for the first time.

One thing I can say is that, on the whole, my comments have been at least 95 percent positive. I'm only sorry that a few descriptions of the road and travel conditions may have left me looking like an arrogant, ugly-American ex-pat passing some sort of negative judgement on the local people here. This saddens me a great deal, because nothing could be farther from the truth. Since I've been here, I've experienced the greatest kindness, generosity, selflessness, sincerity, and strength of body and spirit I think I've ever seen in this world. And this is saying a lot, as I've been to and lived in a lot of different places.

Please accept my sincere apologies. I truly regret that I've caused offense to anyone in this great place. (As a sidenote, I've also edited Mrs. Mbano's name to read Dr. Mbano. I was also corrected on this detail by a Malawian reader.) Thanks for your comments. I am taking them very seriously.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thousands of Malawians have accessed your blog atleast once. For your information, your link was posted on Chanco Alumni Forum, whose membership is well into thousands. This was my basis for estimating the figures. I reserve more of my comments on your apology, but its been accepted. No hard feelings, CHEESE!

Anonymous said...

There is absolutely nothing to apologise for. Your blog is telling it as it is.I, for one, enjoy the candidness in you postings.

Jen X said...

To both "anonymous" readers: Thanks again for your comments, and I must say I'm a bit shocked and humbled by the fact that this blog link has been posted on the Chanco Alumni Forum! I'm also happy to see that not all readers from Malawi have been offended by my descriptions. Truly, I mean no harm or disrespect. I will certainly try to be more careful from now on, as to not be misunderstood or misinterpreted.

Anonymous said...

There is a reason why the blogger has apologised. I believe she wants to put everything behind and move on. Those for or against what she posted have their own reasons, and we dont have to waste Jen's precious time by continuing with the debate. In a multitude of words, sin always abinds, so goes the saying. Its possible someone qouted her out of context considering how much she posted. Having said that, all of us have our shortcomings, dont we? And we probably are not qualified to throw the first stone. Bad news make the news and if thats the case, then all of us have been guilty in one way or another. Take for instance, if I mention Bill Clinton, the first thing that comes to mind probably is his sexual involvement with Monica, overshadowing all the good things he did prior to and after that incidence. Thats how our minds work. We read between lines in search of the BAD and not the GOOD. Let this matter rest. Have a good time Jen next time you visit our beautiful country. By the way you can also visit our beautiful Lake Malawi. I cant believe you missed it. Its cool.

Jen X said...

Hello, Chirwa,

I just saw your comment before logging off, and wanted to thank you for your insights. Also, I wanted to clarify that I'm actually living here in Malawi until June 2008, so I'm certain I'll have many chances to visit the lake (though I haven't done so yet...) Thanks!