DISCLAIMER

This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are the English Language Fellow's own and do not represent the English Language Fellow Program or the U.S. Department of State.

Monday, October 1, 2007

'Muyende Bwino' to Leah

This will be my shortest post thus far, as I am still working on helping Leah out with her predicament. Unfortunately, it looks like she'll be leaving Malawi soon. I'm a bit sad, since I'll really miss her, but even so, I think she's doing the right thing, given the situation, which seems to be getting progressively worse somehow.

We're having a little "Muzungu" get-together for Leah tonight, as this is most likely her last night in Domasi, and possibly very close to her last night in Malawi, so we want to see her off in style. It should be a good "Muyende Bwino" ("Go well") party for Leah. I even bought a bottle of South African Chardonnay to help cheer her up, but realized my so-called corkscrew (which is actually a can-opener and bottle-opener) really is not functional at all. In fact, the only thing I've been able to open with it so far is beer bottles (though I've only opened one since I got here-- nudge, nudge, wink, wink...). Luckily, Betsy and Jeff are fully stocked at their house, corkscrew and all, so we'll be able to drink and be merry, and hopefully cheer Leah up a bit before she leaves us.

I also saw Sister Anastasia this evening, and apologized for not making it to church yesterday, though she was quite understanding, especially when she found out I used the day to help out a friend. Looks like I'd better keep to my promise to go this Sunday, though. I'm sure it's not a good idea to break two promises to a nun, especially in a span of just one week. But, as I said, she's the coolest nun on Earth, so I'm not too worried.

So, that's it for now. I'll check in again tomorrow, probably with a few more details to share. I do have an update on my car purchase situation, so that's something for my 3-5 loyal readers to look forward to! By week's end, I should be driving wildly on the wrong side of the road sitting on the wrong side of the car while shifting with the wrong hand using a backwards shifting pattern!! I can't wait, but I must say I'm a bit worried about the blissfully unaware scattered bikers and pedestrians along the side of the road... left side of the road, left side of the road, left side of the road... I'm practicing the mantra now. More on that saga later. Tiwonana (Yes, I've been saying/writing it wrong all this time-- "See You Later" is actually 'Tiwonana' -- pronounced 'TEE-wo-na-na', not my mistaken 'TU-wo-na-na'-- so, if you've been trying to impress your friends with the new Chichewa phrases you've learned here, you can blame that one on me...) More later!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you'll find it's 4-6 loyal readers now ;)

Anonymous said...

The readership is growing here. Impatiently waiting for the driving saga :D.