DISCLAIMER

This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are the English Language Fellow's own and do not represent the English Language Fellow Program or the U.S. Department of State.

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Ohmigod, I'm in another world...

Hello, faithful Malawi 'n Me readers! Sorry for my days-long hiatus. I actually have a very good excuse... When I tried to get online to post on Wed. and Thurs., I found that I could not log onto the internet. After a bit of investigation, I found out that Domasi College had gotten delinquent in the payment of the internet service bill, thus no internet access as of Wed. I'm not sure whether there was access Friday, but due to my need to leave by noon to travel up to Lilongwe, I hadn't planned to post after Thursday, anyway...

So, this is the first time I've been able to get online long enough to enter a new post, and you'll never guess where I am now, nor what I am doing.

OK, I'll give you 3 guesses... In the U.S.? Yes. At home? No. Stranded in the Detroit Airport in the middle of a huge winter storm? Yes! Wow, nice job with your guesses! I'm actually at an internet bar at the Detroit Airport which allows unlimited internet access for about $7.00 U.S. Not only that, but my favorite American football team (The Green Bay Packers) were pummelling the St. Louis Rams (33-14 final score--Yippee!!), so of course I had to order a couple of beers and watch them play. Today's brew is Sam Adams (my favorite Eastern beer, which I usually order when I can't get a 'Leini's'--only the Wisconsinite 'Cheeseheads' will know what that is... and, by the way, for the Malawians-- Carlsberg definitely is NOT the best beer in the world, as they like to claim on their billboards around Malawi--qualified by 'probably' for a reason (full slogan, for the 'Yanks': Carlsberg--probably the best beer in the world'... No way...it's Leini's all the way, baby!!)

I also had a portobello mushroom and cheese panini... something you can't find in Malawi (especially the mushrooms), but it wasn't as satisfying as I'd expected somehow... Could it be I've lost the taste for certain 'American-style' foods??? (though paninis are Italian)--- Hmmm....

Let me back up a bit. I flew in at around 11:30 a.m. this morning (Sunday, Dec. 16) My one checked bag did not follow me from Amsterdam, but I'm told it'll come here later. My 1:30 p.m. flight to Elmira (where I live here in the states... well, actually Horseheads, NY which is a little town where my boyfriend lives) was cancelled due to this crazy 'Noreaster' storm... (as they like to call them here... due to the fact that they usually move south from Canada, and generally pummel the Northeast U.S., though this one apparently came up from the south and through the midwest first...)

So, the next flight available to my little town is at 9:30 p.m. Ya, about 10 hours to kill... that's a lotta beer (now down to 4.5 hours). I'll have to pace myself. I'll be sure to keep you posted again tomorrow on the status of my travels. I'm really in another world... everything is white here, including most of the people ;-).... and COLD--- REALLY, REALLY, REALLY Cold!! How did I grow up in this place? It's nuts... Well, at least there aren't any big, hairy spiders crawling around (As my sister Heather kindly reminded me while chatting online today)-- I suppose everything has its silver lining, eh?

So, with that, Tiwonana Mawa!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen! Many thanks for the update. Enjoy your holidays. Have a Merry Merry Christmas and a Happay Happy new year when back in Malawi.