DISCLAIMER

This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are the English Language Fellow's own and do not represent the English Language Fellow Program or the U.S. Department of State.

Monday, December 17, 2007

Back in the 'Hinterland'

So, I promised an update once returning home, so here it is. Finally, after almost 11 hours at the FREEZING Detroit airport, I made it onto the one and only plane out of Detroit to Elmira, NY, which left at around 10 p.m. last night, arriving at around 11:30 p.m. Needless to say, I was exhausted, and freezing, but still didn't actually go to bed until around 3 a.m. due to the fact that it was 'wake-up time' in Malawi (around 7 a.m.) when I got home.

I pretty much spent the rest of my afternoon/evening yesterday wandering around the airport, much of it searching for a warm enough jacket to keep me from freezing to death. It's amazing how difficult it can be to find a good fleece jacket in an international airport. All I could find were cotton 'hoodies,' which is what I was wearing, and that wouldn't do. I eventually had to treck back down to the main terminal about an hour before the boarding of my flight, where ironically the only place selling anything warm enough was the PGA (Pro Golf Association) store. Luckily, they were having a 50% off sale, so I didn't have to drop a big wad of cash for the oversized, but very warm fleece jacket I bought. I'll have to figure out who gets it for Christmas, since it's way too big for both me and my boyfriend.

OK, well, that's it for now. I'm not likely to post every day while here, since I'm no longer in Malawi, so Tiwonana for now!

No comments: