DISCLAIMER

This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are the English Language Fellow's own and do not represent the English Language Fellow Program or the U.S. Department of State.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Curios of 'Happiness'

This will be another short post, as I'm just getting started, and it's almost 9:30 p.m. already. I spent the day in Blantyre today, visiting the doctor for one final check-up before leaving for the states, and all is looking very good, so I'm feeling quite relieved. I also met with a new friend David, whom I met through one of the Blantyre guys we met at the lake (Juffah, the guy who lives in Canada). David is Juffah's cousin, and a very nice guy who seems to have taken some pity on me, being a Mzungu all on my own living in the middle of nowhere. I don't have a lot of opportunities to 'hang out' in the city, so it's nice to know someone I can do things with in Blantyre once in awhile. Hopefully next time I'll get to meet up with his wife and young daughter as well.

He also obliged me in visiting the 'Curios' area in Blantyre (also known as 'souvenirs' to my fellow 'bloody Yanks' out there...). I'd been told by Juffah before he left for Canada to ask for a guy named 'Happiness' (ya, that's his real name... a lot to live up to, eh?). So, I asked for 'Happiness', and he appeared. Ah, if only it were always that simple. Not much later, meeting 'Happiness' brought me some 'sadness' and 'regret', as I spent a good chunk of the money in my purse. But I got good stuff for my 'homies' in the states. Betchya wanna know what I got. Not gonna tell ya (last line should be read aloud in 'Dana Carvey imitation of Bush-Senior' voice--that one's definitely for the 'bloody Yanks'). Of course, I don't wanna spoil the fabulous Christmas surprises!!

Actually, I only needed a few things, as most of my purchases have already been made. But, now I have more stuff from 'Happiness' which will hopefully bring more happiness to the ones I love. Isn't that sweet? Tiwonana mawa!

No comments: