DISCLAIMER

This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are the English Language Fellow's own and do not represent the English Language Fellow Program or the U.S. Department of State.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Back from Zambia, head spinnin...

So, it's about one week and one day after my last post, and I'm alive to tell the tale... I had a fabulous trip, both in Lilongwe and at South Luongwa National Park in Zambia. Of course, it was a much-needed respite from the craziness that had been going on here in Domasi a couple of days prior to my escape.

For those who are wondering about the condition of things at my home, luckily Harold has not returned. However, Dorothy has continued to stay on the property with her young daughter Miracle. Her sons have been staying with her mother. Today, we talked about the situation, and it looks like she'll be moving in with her mother soon, while also working on building a house in her mother's village. Right now, Dorothy and her family are saying that Harold is no longer welcome in the family, and they are supporting an official divorce. For Dorothy's sake, I hope that this will be the case. She seems to have some good support in her family members, and I think they will take good care to make sure she and the kids are safe and healthy. I've also done my part to help her succeed as she ventures out on her own, the details of which I'll keep to myself. Let's just say with Deliwe's wise advice, we found a way to help Dorothy without also assisting her violent alcoholic husband in the process. Through Deliwe, I hope to also receive updates on how the family is doing after they go (and also after I leave Malawi), and of course, I do expect them to come around and visit while I'm still here (up to June 1, though I'm still waiting for a confirmed travel itinerary--more on that later).

Back to the story of my week away: My first night was spent in Lilongwe, catching up with Kate and her boyfriend, and meeting up with a few new people as well. I didn't realize at first how much I needed that kind of escape... just being around other foreign visitors (all I met were much shorter-term than myself), and sharing stories of African travel and overseas living experiences. It really helped to get my mind off of the upsetting events I had just experienced here.

The coolest (and, of course, most ironic) aspect of it all was the fact that I met some of the most interesting, friendly, engaging people I've met so far since I've come to this country (both in Lilongwe and during my stay in Zambia)... funny how that always happens when you're about to leave a place.

For now, I'll save the detailed stories and pix from my trip, but hopefully those will be posted by Friday. Right now, I'm very busy planning our official launch event for the Children's Reading Room Project at Village to Village Orphanage which takes place tomorrow afternoon (22 May)--which also is the reason my head is spinnin' (not to mention the fact that time is running out for all the other things I have to do--but I'll worry 'bout that stuff later).

Most of the major planning work is finished, so now I just have to do the hard part... get presentable and then present, without letting my usual stage fright turn me into a bumbling idiot... wish me luck on that! (A sidenote-- I even had a traditional Malawian dress made to wear at the occasion... had to have some things adjusted, and will go home to try it on soon...I'm a bit nervous 'bout that)

As a quick update, the Reading Room project is now up and running, and doing quite well! We officially opened on Thurs. 8 May, and are keeping regular open hours of 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. We chose 8 May as our opening date because it was just 2 days after receiving a HUGE shipment of books from Florida, sent by the amazingly generous book donations of the students from Pine Ridge Middle School!! Because of the hundreds of books they sent (a total of 12 'M' bags from the U.S. Postal Service, if I remember the number correctly), our shelves were full of books for kids of all reading levels, and we were then able to open our doors (though it did take us another full day to finish stocking the books and finalizing volunteer staff).

We have a great staff of 6 volunteers: 2 adults, including one retired primary school teacher (Mr. Chawanda-- watch for pix of him later), one volunteer teacher at Village to Village Secondary School, and 4 teenage secondary school students (one of which is Deliwe's brother Movuto, who has been a great help before and during our opening). Right now, all of our volunteers are men/boys, so we're still looking for some women/girls to help us out as well.

Of course, I've visited the Reading Room several times since we opened the doors, and things are going very well. At times, I've had to summon up (and also suppress) my 'German side' which wants to keep the books perfectly tidy at all times, but in the process, I've also managed to help instill the importance of taking care of the space and the books to the kids, which is part of this whole process. Let's just say when I came in one day to a disorderly pile of books on the bottom shelf (also the most popular shelf, as it's got the more basic-level English story books), I made sure to leave it there for the kids to straighten up, after my German side gave them a firm, but gentle reminder of how to leave the place the way they found it-- don't worry, no hitting or screaming involved... I'd had quite enough of that by last week Monday (Which is when I gave the 'the talk').

What I love about these kids the most, though, is that after I gave them 'the talk', they were very eager to clean everything up, and have since done an impressive job of taking care of their new library. They're fast learners, and very eager to please. The best part is that they're really loving their new place, and I can see the joy it is bringing them, as well as the appreciation of the community members who really seem to see the potential the reading room holds for improving literacy education in this region.

So, tomorrow we show off our hard work to the world (well, our world here in Domasi, anyway). I'll be sure to give a full report of that, as well as my escape to Lilongwe/Zambia, and of course, the pictures to go along with it all...

Tiwonana (maybe mawa)!

No comments: