DISCLAIMER

This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are the English Language Fellow's own and do not represent the English Language Fellow Program or the U.S. Department of State.

Friday, September 21, 2007

TGIF!!

Hey, I'm back! Did you miss me? Did you notice I was gone? I hope all of you loyal readers (I think my count of 3 has increased to 5 or so now) used that "day off" to catch up on all my incessant ramblings of the past week.

Needless to say, I do have a lot to chronicle about my trip to Lilongwe to purchase my new (well, not so new, actually 1994) Toyota Celeron (or something like that... it's a "C" name, and I can't remember it, but it looks a lot like a Camry. My boyfriend will be proud). Of course, I don't have it with me now, as there's a fair bit of paperwork that has to be done, but hopefully by the end of next week, I'll be cruising the roads of Malawi on the wrong side of the car, as well as the wrong side of the road. Yup, it's a former British colony, so I get to figure out how to shift with the left hand. I've always said that's one thing I'd like to do before leaving this earth, and finally I'll get the chance, every day, for the next 9 months. Luckily, I do drive a manual back home, so I won't be as handicapped as the majority of Americans, except that I have to do it (shift, that is) in the opposite direction (outside to inside, instead of inside to outside... if you can drive a manual, you catch my drift...). Then, there's the problem of the side of the road... Thankfully, my driver Selemane (from Domasi College, assigned to drive me for this excursion) was kind enough to test-drive the car for me yesterday, so I didn't destroy the transmission prior to the purchase. He's a good man.

So, this truly will be a short post, as I'm very tired from my trip (Lilongwe is about a 4-hour drive from here), as well as hungry (it was one of those no-lunch days in Malawi. I'll explain that later. It's happened a few times since my arrival), so I'll give all the details of my last two days in my next post, complete with pictures!

Until then, Maswela!

No comments: